Saturday, June 03, 2017

Nextcloud on Archlinux

Recently I'm trying Nextcloud, which is a fork of Owncloud.

I have to admit that I am not a big fan of PHP apps. When I tested Owncloud several years ago I only felt it's very slow.....As someone recommended Nextcloud a few weeks ago I'd like to give it a try.

The installation doc was well but since it is only for Redhat and Ubuntu. I'd like to add some notes when using Archlinux (with Nginx, PHP-FPM, Mariadb, Redis Server):


  1. The official packages are needed ("pacman -Sy nginx, php-fpm, mariadb, redis")
  2. The AUR package php-smbclient is needed if you want to use the external storage feature with SMB/CIFS
  3. Using memory caching can improve the performance. From the doc you can choose APCu, Memcached and Redis. I am using Redis server since it should be most flexible approach. AUR package php-redis, again, is needed.
  4. Download the latest Nextcloud package. Extract and put it under /var/www
  5. under /etc/php/php.ini, make sure these lines are uncommented:
    zend_extension=opcache.so
    extension=pdo_mysql.so
    extension="smbclient.so"
    extension="redis.so"
  6. Following the official method to setup Nginx 
  7. Enable the services so that they will bring up after a reboot. (systemctl enable xxx)
  8. Using SSL is highly recommended. It's very easy to get one from Let's Encrypt with zero cost.
I will setup a container on my proxmox and evaluate for a while and give a brief review about it  later.

No comments: